Sunday, February 8

TARGET!

Sometimes I feel like I'm a target but I never felt like this would be the case at Target. I was there late last night on invitation by my wise crack of a brother whom I love dearly. We were doing some shopping and each had our list . . . however, we verged from it quickly. I managed to buy a great pair of sun glasses that I didn't need, especially not late at night. He ended up with some gifts for his wife.
I paid first and saw the security people looking at me as I placed the already paid for glasses in my purse. I instantly felt the red bulls eye on my forehead and that sick feeling came upon me. As we approached the door, I knew it was coming. Now I must add that for those of you who have never been stopped before because you like like everyone else, I envy you. I knew it was coming as they made direct eye contact but they had NO reason to stop me until I walked through the metal detector with my brother. Of course it went off and I was stopped. Now to the benefit of the Target security guard he was really polite and approachable. He asked me for my receipt and stood patiently as my brother started making remarks such as "It's her. . . she has something in her purse," and "She has had this bad habit for a long time." The security guard laughed most of them off as he waited patiently for me to pull not only the sunglasses but the receipt which was already buried at the bottom of my small purse. (I hate large purses . . . and I actually hardly ever carry one). The guard thanked me once he saw that the sunglasses in the purse were mine and told me that if the detector went off again then I should just ignore it. "Ignore it", said my brother, "if it goes off again throw her to the floor and frisk her!" I turned and told him, the guard, that I would never go shopping with him, my brother, again.
Bulls eye . . . and when we got out to the car we realized that it wasn't my glasses but his stuff that set off the alarm. Ironically he just sat there, throwing out anything he could to diverge attention and it worked because at no moment was he asked for his receipt or if they could take a look in his bag. Targeted at Target . . . and that is the truth!

2 comments:

Calvin said...

I had an employee that "didn't look like everybody else, especially here in UT" He joked about it a lot and I eventually felt confident joining in on the joke.... we really did get different attention than when I was by myself, shocked the heck out of me.

Calvin said...

I dropped by Dixon today with Greydon... but you weren't there... sad